Velocitor Solutions Blog
How Fleet Management Software Can Improve Productivity
With margins thin across the transportation and logistics industries, more organizations are looking to technology and outsourcing drivers and equipment to improve productivity, streamline operations, and reduce waste.
In a recent survey by Teletrac Navman, 39% of fleets named reducing costs as a top business goal in 2017. The survey, which examined best practices, trends, and current issues influencing transportation operations in the U.S., found that reducing costs, increasing fleet size, incorporating telematics solutions, and hiring and retraining new drivers were the top business priorities across the industry.
"Facing fluctuating fuel costs, a driver shortage and new regulatory challenges, it's not surprising that executives in transportation are doing everything they can to control costs and boost revenue," said Sid Nair, senior director of transport and compliance, Teletrac Navman. "Companies are investing in technologies from telematics to data management tools to help streamline their workflow and connect drivers to the back office. This is only the beginning of a paradigm shift centered around technology adoption and use."
Almost three-quarters of the fleets reported either currently using telematics or planning to do so in the next year, including investing in GPS tracking and fleet management solutions. Of those implementing new technologies, 41% said they were doing it to increase regulatory compliance.
Modern advances have drastically improved vehicle quality and performance; however, even the best vehicles demand regular preventative maintenance. With
GPS vehicle tracking and engine diagnostic systems, you can easily keep your fleet in top condition, thanks to valuable features that:
- Provide automatic alerts the moment one of your vehicles suffers an engine problem or transmission malfunction.
- Offer instant access to the complete repair and maintenance history of each vehicle in your fleet.
- Allow you to set proactive reminders for tune-ups, oil changes and other preventive maintenance activities.
- Deliver automatic engine diagnostic alerts to help you minimize costly roadside repairs.
- Help you maintain accurate records to better predict maintenance costs, keep maintenance schedules up to date and make smart, informed decisions about when to replace aging, inefficient vehicles.
- Let you track exact vehicle speed, location and engine performance to improve negative driving habits that promote vehicle wear and tear.
A fleet routing module can dramatically improve efficiency and productivity throughout your entire operation. View all open jobs on a map and build routes visually on a map, then optimize each route to shorten travel times and lower fuel consumption. Also, partner the routing module with a Garmin solution for automatic transmission of route information to the Garmin device in a vehicle – enabling wireless dispatching of real-time route status and feedback as well as providing an optional turn-by-turn direction module that can further increase driver productivity.
The fact is, with a GPS tracking device, you can keep up with proper maintenance, keep vehicles safe on the road, and hold your workforce accountable. Utilizing a GPS tracking device within your fleet can deliver numerous benefits that help increase revenue and enhance your bottom-line.
To learn more about Velocitor’s fleet management software solutions, click here.